Saturday 11 April 2015

Mud, Sweat and Tears

Well not really tears, more like whimpering, because the sun came out and we all went crazy and played outside until our knees gave up. Garden Club looked like a casualty clearing station.

It is our third Spring here and at last I'm getting to the weed infested, overgrown spaces which pass for flower beds. Take my word for it they are really bad. I've mud wrestled a gigantic fern and dug up hundreds of bulbs, clumps and clumps of daisies and asters, a jungle of rose suckers and a mountain of grass. I found three roses, two peonies and a tulip. The roses will be moved, for some reason they were planted in deep shade, the peonies will be given away, I'm not sure what the future holds for the tulip.

Now for replanting, which would cost a fortune if it weren't for the generous people in our community. I've been hanging out on our local social media sites. We have two specifically for gardeners which right now are filled with shop and swap opportunities. We also have another just for our part of the peninsula which is handy for finding things close to home. This one also posts community events, rides in to town, lost and found dogs, cats, sheep and ducks, and cougar warnings of which we have had two recently.

For a ridiculously small amount of money, gifts of jam and promises of  fruit this is my haul so far:

astilbe

borage

clove pinks

hardy geranium
rose campion
climbing hydrangea-it's going in a spot similar to this,
not sure how long it will take to grow as big
yarrow
primula

kale, lemon balm and a pile of seasoned horse manure.

I have to go, we are still painting and furniture needs to be moved, apparently the world will come to an end if we don't do it NOW. More tears.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, wow hope your knees are recovering but how lovely to be in the 'know' in the local swapsie community. Such a good idea, and what treasure you have received and pleasure your new plants will give. Maybe you should be like the Queen and invite everyone round for afternoon tea in the garden in the summer, someone will take that tulip for sure!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a local professional landscaper who has a stunning garden and has a party every year. I just have to wangle an invite.

      Delete
  2. I look outside and see winter's damage and sigh. So much work to do and I think I might need some hired help this year for the clean up. My knees and back are not what they used to be.

    I had a climbing hydrangea years ago at my first home. It grew, but never bloomed until the morning that the moving van showed up to take our stuff to our present house. If I knew it would do that, I would have taken it with me. I recently drove past my old neighborhood and saw that the hydrangea, along with most of my gardens were gone. It made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbours at our old house became good friends over the years. We stay with them when we go into the city so I get to look over the fence at my old garden. In between visits I get my friend to observe and report. Not looking as good as when we were there. Hiring someone sounds like a fantastic idea.

      Delete
  3. Lovely selections my friend! And what a wonderful idea to swap plants with folks.....I need to do that!! You have inspired me to get online to research some swaps in my area as I don't want to spend a fortune this season. Wishing you good times with all of your projects! Happy week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving up on rigid and letting serendipty take the lead. It means constantly rethinking but I think it will work out in the end.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I would love a climbing hydrangea, but will wait until the Last House. I don't think I could leave one behind. I feel your pain - one tends to go wild when spring weather finally comes and there is SO much to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being completely unrealistic about how much I can get done but I can't seem to stop.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flowers. I've tried to do some gardening, but the sunny days are too far between for me right now. If we get a good one, Wayne wants to go out on the quads. We had a nice ride last week up at Olsen's Landing. I heard about the cancellation of the garden tour. Sorry to hear that. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still the edible garden tour later in the summer. It was excellent last year.

      Delete